Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 Aug 94 09:42:52 EDT
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      List Must Mass VW On A/C

The following appears in the latest issue of VW/Autoist. It is of vital importance to all Vanagon owners with Air Conditioning:

"As you are aware, freon is being phased out of production and will not be available in the near future.

"Therefore, automobie manufacturers, including Volkswagen, are contemmplating making conversion kits available for older cars so that their air conditioning systems can use the replacement for freon, HFC-134a.

"Please encourage all VWCA members to contact VWUS Customer Service at 800-822-8987 and express their desire to see a kit offered for their particular model.

"For example, VW is currently deciding whether to make a kit available for the Vanagon, so this is a case where your vote definitely counts."

The above from David Magulness, 31 Twinshore Court, Carmel, IN 46033.

Now, the obvious thing to do is to overwhelm VW with calls from people on this list who have Vanagons with A/C. Everybody should print this file out with the phone number and carry the paper around and then call the next time they have a chance.

Everybody should also probably send in a letter. Here is the suggested text of a letter to send. I suggest you copy this text onto a piece of paper, fill in the blanks, and send it off. It is your duty to your future. In a couple of short years, you will be frying in your own juices if you don't. :)

Your Name Your address Your phone number

Customer Service Volkswagen United States 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Dear Sirs,

I understand you are now considering whether to off a kit to retrofit the Vanagon air conditioning system so that it will take the new kind of freon. I am writing to urge you to do so. I would definitely be interested. I have a (year) Vanagon (camper, syncro, diesel, whatever).

Sincerely,

derekdrew@aol.com