Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 05 Aug 94 15:55:17 EDT
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Propane Regulator Discontinued

I am sorry to report that Marshall Gass which makes the 260-00 regulator supplied on Vanagon Campers to control the propane system has discontinued production as of two months ago. They have replaced this unit with the 290 but according to Chris Tourney at Marshall Brass (1-800-877-2495) the new model 290 will not fit in place of the 260 because the black plastic shield housing won't fit over the 290.

Tourney said there is no black plastic sheld made for the 290. He also stressed that if you install the 290 without any shield you will be violating code, and worse than that, you will trash your regulator by allowing dirt to foul it up.

Tourney said that there is no solution to this problem. He also said that some of the 260s which might be in stock in RV distributorships might not be good any more. He said this is because the 260 has certain polymers which escape and deteriorate when the unit is not connected to a running propane system.

My conversation with Tourney was initiated after I lit my refrigerator on the streets of Manhattan yesterday and returned two hours later to find propane spewing out of the regulator into the atmosphere on the sidewalk. I asked Tourney what might cause this and he said it was definitely the 260 going bad and that I should replace it.

I asked Tourney whether, since there appears to be no solution to the Vanagon owner whose regulator has gone bad, whether I should kill myself immediately.

(just kidding).

It seems like someone should fabricate a new plastic box that goes around the 290 and then sell this box to the rest of us on the list that don't have the time for this kind of thing.

Comments anyone?

derekdrew@aol.com