Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 6 Aug 94 19:39:16 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Camper Equipmetn Advise Needed

> The rest of you...give me a list of what you think I would need > for camping gear. Thanks.

Well, first I'd trade the EV in for a Vanagon GL..Oops, that's right you opted for the EV instead.....

Sorry Ric, just couldn't resist! ;)

> So what stuff do I need folks? What would you suggest? I have > access to a beat-up 71 Westy...and am thinking of stealing the > "sink" cabinet...is that worth doing...removing the jump > seat in the EV, and putting that in when we go camping.

Do yourself a favor and just bring along 2 - 4 jugs of drinking water for consumption. Get a couple of plastic tubs for washing dishes. This is how we do it anyway. Use water for washing provided at the camp ground. Get a coleman stove and cook out- side and Oooo...be sure to get one of those portable table-top gas grills. There the best thing to come along for camping in a long time. Other people using charcoal watch as you get your cooking done in 1/4 the time while their still waiting for their charcoal to get hot. The next time you see them camping, they'll have a gas grill too. Buy the best sleeping bags you can get. They are worth every penny and more when it gets really cold. Be sure to get matching ones so you can zip it together with your honey's (for those...ahem....REALLY cold nights ;) ).

Instead of one big ice chest, bring to smaller ones. They're easier to deal with. And you will need an ice chest. The fridge is just too small to deal with all the food you'll want to take. It's just not feasible. I freeze my meats and cheese ahead of time and throw them into the fridge just before I leave. The fridge is plugged in the night before if possible. Put fruits and veggies in one ice chest and drinks in the other. Sort the rest of the stuff in the ice chests as you see fit. I prefer drinks and condiments in one and every thing else in the other. Sometimes I'll bring along another smaller ice chest for drinks only. Remember, you don't have to put all your drinks on ice at once.

Be sure to get all of your cooking utensils together and into a small suitcase. You should have a set for camping only. Moving utensils from the house to the car sucks. Don't forget the can opener, cork screw, cutting knife, spatula, matches, pocket knife, whatever Martha tells ya to bring, paper towels, cloth towels and paper plates. You'll learn as you go. Bring a flashlight for everyone and then bring 2 extra plus extra batteries (alkaline) and don't even bother with rechargables. They are definately not for camping.

Be sure to have a Coleman lantern. I know alot of you hate them but I just gotta have one. The debate goes on and on as to which is better (propane or gas). I have a gas one because it was given to me.

Well, I'll let someone else carry on from here. I could go on for a while but you probably stopped reading this after several lines. ;)

> > > Ric >

-- Steven

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com