Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 94 10:06:49 PDT
From:         wall@mcm.com (Steve Wall)
Subject:      Re: OK, Everybody now.....

> > Old MacDonald had a Bus > VeeWee VeeWee O > And on that Bus he had some CV JOINTS! > VeeWee VeeWee O > With a WHINE-WHINE here, and a WHINE-WHINE there > Here a WHINE, there a WHINE, everywhere a WHINE-WHINE. >

I was wondering what that whining from my right rear wheel was - could it be the CV joint(s)?

Last week I ordered the Bentley book as a first step towards my independence from dealers with suspect integrity. But, of course, I risk ruining poor Cassie ('89 Westy, 95k miles) by thinking I can repair more than I really can. I continue to live with the image of my '71 Beetle (yellow, named Kato, as in Peter Sellers' "little yellow friend" in Pink Panther movies....), engine out, disassembled, Idiot book in hand, trying to get it all back together...I was not a natural mechanic...just ask the mechanic to whom I took Kato to put it back together RIGHT...

But, that was 15 years ago - I'm older (yes) and smarter (maybe...) now and feel confident that I can perform various repairs on Cassie, especially with the deep well of knowledge available on the net.

I welcome comments on whether a beginner should work towards the following repairs during the first 6 months of learning:

1. If the WHINE is from the CV joints, can I tackle this repair as one of my early projects with the Bentley book?

2. I was told by the dealer that I have $800 of repairs to the cooling system (radiator leak, water pump leak, maybe more?). I know I consume/leak coolant - I always check to top it off every 100 miles or so - so I know I have a problem. Can I replace the radiator? The water pump? Whatever else might need repair?

Also, what list of basic tools should I plan to buy as an initial investment? How much do these cost (for reasonable quality tools) I welcome the advice from the numerous Vanagon sages out there....

Steve