Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 8 Aug 94 10:01:08 PDT
From:         ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu (John Ritchie)
Subject:      Re: Camper Equipmetn Advise Needed

Holy Cow, Steve! Vanagons must be WAY bigger inside than Transporters! With that list of stuff you bring camping there'd be no room for any people, much less surfboards, in my `74 7-passenger bus!

OK, so here's my list of camping stuff and considerations... bear in mind that I don't have kids and only camp with, at most, one other person.

Cooking gear: One (1) cardboard box that has a couple plates, forks and spoons, a set of backpacking pots inside of a medium saucepan with lid, a Coleman backpacking stove with windscreen, some dish soap and matches, some salt and pepper and mosquito repellant, a few misc. plastic and paper bags, a box of coffee filters and a drip cone, a couple of coffee cups, a thermos, some barbeque utensils, a small roll of toilet paper and a small one of paper towels, a box of tinfoil, and misc. whatever else ends up in it. I carry a mini-Weber charcoal grill but Steve's talk about a gas grill has got me thinking... not only is charcoal slower but you have to pack briquettes and deal with the mess... Hmm.... You may have scored another convert Steve!

On longer trips with questionable water supply I carry a 5-gallon jug with spigot for water. It rides next to the back hatch. Dishes are done in the largest cook pot that's dirty.

Cooling gear: One (1) mid-sized cooler. I'd like to have more cooling, but it's just a lowly Transporter (no icebox) and I like to be able to bungee my cooler to the back seat so it doesn't wander around. If I have two people I'll often use a bigger cooler though.

A bag with groceries and/or garbage.

Sleeping arrangements: This is pretty vehicle-specific if you're going to sleep in the bus. Bobo has a fold-down rear seat (thank you VW!) and I have a folding plywood sheet and a mini-mattress that I can use to make a bed up on the back. I carry blankets because they're so much nicer than a sleeping bag. If I have a non-intimate camping partner I'll bring an air-mattress and a sleeping bag for them to sleep diagonally on the floor unless they're too tall, then it's me on the floor.

1 or two duffles for clothes, depending on the length of the trip and size of the bag, and number of people.

Going to the coast there'll be a Rubbermaid tub for the wetsuit and one or two boards in boardbags.

Lighting: One (1) flashlight for nighttime emergency auto repair and bush excursions. In the above-mentioned cardboard box there's also a candle to provide mood lighting. ;) If I'm going to be camping in a campground I'd like to bring a pump-up pellet rifle for shooting out the neighbors damn star-eclipsing blinding damn Coleman lantern but I'm a little too well socially adjusted for that... barely. Fortunately I don't use campgrounds that much... Sorry Steve, I just had to express an alternate point of view! :) :)

Standard equipment that always stays in Bobo: the above-mentioned flashlight, a tube of sunblock, tide tables and a Swiss Army knife with corkscrew and can opener. Oh yeah, I should mention that the middle seat is almost never in the bus either, in case anybody had any doubts! :)

As always, YMMV,

John (just returned from a wonderful weekend camping/surfing trip on the coast) Ritchie

ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu