Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 9 Aug 94 21:42:12 PDT
From:         ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu (John Ritchie)
Subject:      beautiful `67 bus for sale

I thought I'd share this with you all.

I just saw this bus today outside of the local great VW mechanic's shop here in Corvallis (Independent Bug Werks). It's for sale through them only in that, if anybody's interested they'll give you his name and number. I know nothing about the person, I just looked the bus over but didn't drive it.

If you're a strict stock restoration fanatic and mechanical improvements bother you, hit "d" now!

This is a cherry `67 21-Window w/cloth sunroof, 9-passenger, bus. It is, although not 100% perfect, 99.998% perfect. I saw 2 slightly dented hupcaps and a part of the divider between the front and back was slightly frayed, and one of the side door leather straps was missing. The bus is built like VW would have built them in `67 if it could have... but here's a copy of the flyer the guy had in it:

------ begin flyer ---- For Sale: 1967 Deluxe Type 2

2nd owner, new paint (blue/white..stock colors), NOS pop-out side windows, new front glass and seal, new upholstery, recent sunroof re-do.

Mechanically: over $7000 invested in a Steve Phillips/Bus Boys engine-tranny-suspension. Cruises at 80, quiet and cool, because of 2 liter bored and stroked engine, IRS, and superbeetle tranny. Stops well on front disc brakes.

2007 cc 90.5 pistons with total seal rings 78mm Bugpack crank new custom case flywheel 8-dowelled Engle 110 camshaft Dual Weber 40 IDF, new custom heads ported and polished 96 plate oil cooler Doghouse tin Berg pulley and oil pump System One oil filter Tach, pressure, temp gauges (VDO)

Front Disc Brakes, rebuilt kingpins, rebuilt swing lever, rebuilt steering box

Independent Rear Suspension Rebuilt Superbeetle transmission, new CV joints,

Turns under 3000 RPM at 60 MPH, runs cool all day 20-25 MPG on any gas (7:1 comp ratio) ------------ end flyer -------

As I said, this looks cherry. The body and interior are completely stock restored but the mechanicals have all the good stuff. The thing makes me drool it's so pretty.

The price you say? The guys at IBW say that he's asking (sit down now!) $9500 for this!!! Overpriced, dare I say? It's a beaut, but that's too much, and that's what they said too. If I had 6 or 7K$ floating around I might make an offer but I don't and, hey, there's no fold-down rear seat nor walk-through from the front so, like, I'm just not interested! (grmle frmle drool) :(

Anyway, if anybody wants me to get more details let me know.

John and Bobo, the freshly washed, orange and white, definitely not cherry, `74 bus ritchiej@ucs.orst.edu