Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 10 Aug 1994 13:41:50 -0400
From:         William Claspy <wpc@PO.CWRU.EDU>
Subject:      Bus front end questions

Hey there!

I'm keen on borrowing my buddy's '71 camper for some travelling in a couple of weeks, but we're both concerned about a wierd problem that it's having. He was having some bad tread wear on the left front tire, so he took it in to the shop to have an alignment done. Turns out the ball joints are shot, so they put in new ones all the way around and new Continental tires up front. Off he goes on a trip. Well, the steering is screwy now. The steering wheel won't return and the bus feels strange in the turn, like it's slow to start turning, then wants to turn "extra" in the turn, then the wheel won't come back. This wasn't happening before, in fact the bus was tracking straight and turning fine. So he's going to take it back to the shop that did the work (a VW shop) but they've already told him that "it sounds like the steering box." I know these are expensive buggers and my buddy doesn't want to be had. He's already done the external adjustment (the screw thingy) on the outside of the steering box, and that didn't fix it.

Could new ball joints all around cause a new problem with the steering box? What else could cause this kind of behavior? Does he need to do the shim adjustment to the steering box? Anyone done this?

Cheers! Bill

(could someone forward this to the vanagon/bus list for me? I don't subscribe to that one. Thanks!)

William Claspy wpc@po.cwru.edu "Stay cool, calm, collected and crazy"- Wavy Gravy

-- ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : System Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................