Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 1 Aug 94 15:18:51 EDT
From:         "William R. Kennedy, NJIT CIAT, 201-596-5648" <kennedy@admin.njit.edu>
Subject:      Beginners

Steve Wall asks what tasks are within the capabilities of relatively new VW mechanics, heavy on book learning and light on experience. Unfortunately, the books leave out a lot of the important stuff, as they assume that you own a lot of "you need this once every 60,000 miles" tools, and they also assume that you won't break off studs, round off nuts, and lose things. Key issues in my opinion that you need to think through are: (1) how long can the car be off the road. This covers a multitude of sins, especially if the answer is nice and long. Cars that need to be running on Monday morning are bad targets for amateur mechanics. (2) how much do you pay yourself to work in the garage. If it's more than 35 cents an hour, there are a lot of projects that professionals can do more cheaply. (3) who can you get for on site consultation, commiseration, and third hand. Settle for American car experience if that's the only kind of skilled inter- mittent partner you can get. I do almost everything alone, 'cause my neigh- bors and relatives don't share my addiction at all, but there are cases where I've needed two jacks and two hours where one greasy friend and 10 min- utes would have done. (4) does the project leave the car rolling. By this measure Steve's cooling system projects are safer than the CV joints, since the wheels aren't involved. (5) how likely is the project to kill you -- either from the brakes (e.g.) failing after your bad repair, or from the car falling on you during the re- pair. All of these items sound paranoid, but the effect of thinking them through is to work your way up appropriately from oil changes to engine swaps, without missteps that cost money rather than save it, and more importantly without bad experiences that put you off wrenching as a fun hobby. B.