Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 11 Aug 1994 17:45:55 -0600
From:         jgladu@bcm.tmc.edu (John Gladu)
Subject:      vehicle color and safety

>as i recall from several years ago, Volvo did a similar study and found that >the absolutely most visible car they had was an orange car with yellow doors >and a white top.

Oh BABY! Where are my spray cans...

>that business about dark green being invisible at night is putting it mildly. >anyone who has been in the army can tell you that you can literally walk >bang into an army truck or tank if you are not wearing night-goggles. not >only is the color invisible, but the dullness of the flat paint doesn't give >any reflective clues at all.

That's what I painted Bozo's rear door and engine cover with...

>i'm thinking about doing something to my bus that i saw on tv: some of the >buses and vanagons in the cnn news blips have reflective tape (red/white) >on the rear of the bus (well, actually, a lot of cars had them, too). and >some had a strip of blue or white reflective tape along the side, between >the wheels. if i can find enough blue reflective tape, i'm gonna try it on >the sides.

I used 3M curb-and-stripe paint on The Bozobus' bumpers. This is very white paint with a huge amount of glass beads in it. It is VERY reflective.

As far as visibility is concerned - having a dozen lights around the roof-rack doesn't hurt either :-)

It occurs to me that I need to scan in some modern pictures of The Bozobus and send them off to the Web site...

bcnu - Grungy '61 dddPanel '68,'69 Bugs '90 Vanagon '67 Bus .opinions are just that.obviously.