Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 1994 08:51:25 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Re: '56 Bus Turn Signals

I said: > >> No, the third is not for the brake lights. Remember, this is a '56, >> so the brake light is in the engine lid, (Sob, oh how I want one of those >> so bad :( If one the A-hole I bought it from hadn't swiped it) Does >> anyone know what that wire would go to?

And he said:

>I don't think so... VW stopped the "pope's nose" on the 1952 models. >When the "heart taillights" were introduced in 1953, the heart acted >as the stop light, and the pope's nose was no longer needed. In 1955 >early the "ruby" lenses were used, and by late 55 the slightly larger, >but still smaller than the 60's style taillights were used. > >In 54, VW began the "model year" concept. THerefore, there are very >few 54s out there, as half of the run became '55s (the ones with >the rubies...) then the larger taillights from jan to july when >'56 production began in August...

So I says:

I know 4 people here in Sacramento with 50's busses. (one is a '59, so I guess that doesn't count)

The others, 2 of them are '56's and 1 is a '55. They all have the flat rear-engine lid (no license plate bump) and have the brake light in the engine lid. The brake light is similar in shape and size to the reverse lights in '67 buses, but slightly larger, I believe.

My bus does not have wiring in the taillights for the brake lights. There are two wires right in the middle of the engine compartment opening, one is live with the brake pedal pressed, and the other is live with the headlights on.

BTW - we are talking about busses, right? I have never seen heart taillights on a bus... The "proper" lights for mine are the domed glass ones, with the wide bezel. I have '58 lights on it now, which are slightly larger, flat, with a hexagonal lens inside. There is no reflector on these or the earlier ones; these busses had a small round reflector mounted in a little hole about 3" or so below the taillight. Another dream item for me!

(singing, to the tune of "White Christmas") "I'm dreaming of some old... tail.. lights, just like the ones it used to have...."

This is not a flame, but maybe I should have my Nomex handy?

Thom '56 bus -- ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : System Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................