Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 1994 11:42:16 -0500
From:         Rob Tayloe <tayloe@RORC.USBM.GOV>
Subject:      "Klunker", Revisited (long)

Since it was a hot topic awhile back, and since it might, could, probably, oh heck..., it -WILL-, affect our beloved bugs, busses, etc. those of you with access, and yes even those of you without easy access, may want to try to read an article in today's (Wednesday August 17, 1994) Wall Street Journal on right-hand side of page one, "Dirty Driving; Clean-Air Deadlines Pull 'Clunker' Vehicles Into Inspection Lines", by staff reporter Oscar Suris. For those of yas without access, here's one tidbit of info: "These vehicles [pre-1982] make up 25% of those on the road today. But regulators, scientists, and industry executives [WHO?] say they account for more than half the vehicle smog generated in the U.S. each year. Federal cleanair authorities want these clunkers cleaned up. They plan to start the process in January by requiring states begin rolling out waves of federally approved "enhanced inspection and maintenance" programs wherever smog persists."

-SOAPBOX MODE ON- Many, many aspects of our modern life need to be taken into account, and maybe we do need to take a step back and honestly think what it is that people have been doing to the environment. NO! I am not some "green" freek or the such, but it does sadden and madden me to no end to see trash strewn everywhere, and to -not- be able to see into the distance from mountain ranges as earlier ancestors could. However, getting back to my "point", -as long as a vehicle is properly cared for & maintained- I do not think the feds have the right to tell us what to do. We have all seen those mid-'70's guzzlers, etc. beltching oil, etc.; that is one thing, but to categorize -ALL- pre-'82 vehicles as "klunkers" is wrong! Yes, besides my '63 bug, I also own a '55 Chevy pickup & a late-40's Fiat (yes, it looks quite similar to a bug, but w/ suicide doors; that's why it was the first car I ever purchased; $5.00 from an uncle, and it has a 30-30 rifle hole thru the roof, but that's another story...) [oh yea, and a '92 Chevy S-10 4x4 blazer, a '83 Chevy 4x4 pickup, and lastly, a '87 Dodge Lancer ES also reside in our driveway, ie: parking lot :)] Anyhow, instead of having all pre-'82 vehicles pass a mandatory emmissions inspection, what may be better is to have a tier-system, where all "alike and similar" vehicles must pass a certain standard for their kind???

Oh, and one last soapbox item: I wish folks would think about the big-picture before they get all excited about electric vehicles... The vehicle itself may be none-polluting, but just were does that electric energy come from? Ok, we have coal-fired generators, nuclear plants, and hydroelectric... The first, well is it really more efficient and cleaner to produce the automobile energy in this matter? The second, who wants a plant -and its waste- in their backyard? And lastly, do we really want more of our free-flowing rivers damned up? Basically, we need to become more efficient in our uses.

It would behoove us as vintage car owners and lovers to start writing and contacting our congressional (state and fed) to know how we feel. asap. Remember, money and numbers count for quite a bit to our lawmakers... When I said above that I don't think that the feds have the right to do such and such, remember that the feds (& state) lawmakers only (well, should) have the power that we as citizens invoke them to have. -SOAPBOX MODE OFF-

Sorry for such a long speel, but I do feel better, for now... -Rob '63 bug (who's callin' me a klunker? well!) ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, | Rob Tayloe | MSM Spelunkers Club /\v/\ | | Metallographic Lab. | Missouri Speleological Survey /\v/\ | | Rolla Research Center | Bat Conservation International /\v/\ | | U.S. Bureau of Mines | Missouri Cave & Karst Conservancy | | tayloe@rorc.usbm.gov | National Speleological Society #32993 /\v/\ | | (314) 364-3169 x247 | American Cave Conservation Association | ''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''