Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 94 11:05:26 PDT
From:         wall@mcm.com (Steve Wall)
Subject:      Re: Help with engine rebuild '87 [W] Vanagon

> > Greetings, > This is my first post to this list after about 2 months of > reading. It sure is a busy one. > > I need some guidance on a problem with my recently purchased '87 > camper Van. I was not very careful at getting the Van inspected before I > purchased it from a dealer in Santa Rosa, CA that deals exclusively with > VW camper vans. What I have discovered since January is that this van > was previously owned by someone either living in a snowy (and hence > saltly) climate or near the ocean. There is considerable amount of > corrosion on the underside of the vehicle. >

When we were looking for a Westy, we contacted this dealer (Hoch Motors, salesman was Roy somethingorother...) and considered buying from him. Our impression was that he roams the West looking for Westys in good shape, brings them back to CA, cleans them up and sells them.

When we talked to him, he was offering a 12 month, 12k warranty - is he still doing this? Did you get such a warranty? If so, is it some kind of [extremely] "limited" warranty?

If you did get the warranty, you might have some recourse. If you do feel that you've been screwed by Roy, keep the list updated as to your success/failure to resolve these problems. If Roy is a sleeze, I'll do my best to spread the word to avoid Hoch if they show signs of sleezy dealings....

Steve