Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 17 Aug 1994 14:15:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Alistair Bell <ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca>
Subject:      Oil pressure and filter from dealer

A couple of weeks ago I decided to change my oil and try synthetic. So I goes to my local Walmart and picked up some Castrol 5W-50 Syntec, (Walmart here seems to have a limited selection of brands and viscosity), then on to THE LOCAL VW DEALER! argh. I asked for a filter for a '92 Jetta ('cause thats the engine I got), and the parts guy handed me this weeney little AUTOBAHN brand filter. I asked him if this was the right one, it seems awfully small, but he assured me it was correct and that the bigger one in the display cabinet was for the diesel model. Why did I go to the dealer for a filter? Well my mind was buzzing with oil faqs and correct valving... So I change my oil and filter, (the synthetic when poured down the plastic funnel would sometimes make little splash drops that would spiral down on the film of oil on the funnel, appearing frictionless, neat), and start the van. After a couple of minutes, the pressure came up and I was happy. Driving with synthetic, I noticed that the oil pressure was 5-8 psi higher than with reg oil. But soon after a strange thing occurred. Starting the van first thing in the morning, or after a couple of hours rest, the oil pressure would not come up immediately, in fact it sometimes took up to 45 seconds! Once up, all was fine. It didn't happen all the time, but occurred more frequently after 10 days. My mechanic and I were puzzled, but before dropping the pan he suggested changing back to reg. oil. I did this, and no change. So then I changed the filter for one of those big FRAM HP-1s. The problem was solved.

The moral of the story is: don't trust any part, even new ones from the dealer.

I haven't taken the AUTOBAHN filter back yet, but I shall.

Alistair