Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 1994 10:58:53 -0400
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)
Subject:      disc brakes on earlier bus

okay here's my bit on this.

mechanicals - the master cylinder on the 71-? bus mounts on the front axle beam, whereas the earlier (all drum) mc mounts up on the body. You could fabricate a mount (weld a plate with holes in the 'right' places) for the mc booster assembly on an earlier axle. If you can find one, an easier solution is to get a later model axle beam with all the rest of the brake stuff you will need.

I have put a 71 axle beam on a 70 bus and it does fit btw.

hydraulics - the mc for the disc/drum and the all drum systems are going to be quite different - i think you would want to use the 'correct' mc in order to get reasonable braking.

I think this is a big project requiring access to a lot of parts - for instance the brake pedal lever is mounted differently on the disc and drum brake models (reflecting the different mc mounting points) so more work tbd.

wont even mention (ok i lied) the brake pressure regulator

on the pther hand its possible you could just swap the drum brakes with disc brakes on the front and it would brake reasonably well. I would NOT be willing to go to all that trouble for the chance that this would be the case., however......

speaking of axles, i happen to have a 'good' 71 axle with drums on it (from the old 70) in my garage - will junk it before winter. Its in upstate ny - free for the taking - no i dont deliver (okay maybe i could drop it in rochester, syracuse, albany, on one of my trips through but no callers from BC okay?????

:-)