Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Aug 94 14:31:44 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: engine temperature

This discussion of oil and engine temperature relates to an idea I am currently trying. Ideally as David Kao says, you don't want the oil to be too low in oil temperature nor too high. 180F would be about right. What I have done is install a second cooler sitting above the tranny with a fan swiped from a Renault 5 and a motor from Subaru (the only combination that would fit under there). Sitting in line with the exit hose to the second cooler is an oil temp switch which automatically turns the fan on at 180F. Ideally this cools the oil down to a manageable temperature above 180 but below 250 which is dangerous for extended periods. Temperatures above 180 are necessary to burn off any water that can ruin the oil.

Since I cannot hear the fan with the engine running and do not have an oil temp gauge, I have hooked upa small light to the dash which comes on when the fan is operating. The fan operates mostly on long hauls and up big hills.

The next step would be to install a thermostat which under startup and cold conditions would only allow the oil to flow to the second cooler wqhen it reaches a certain temp. This system in my view would approximate the kind of cooling you would get with a water-cooled vehicle.

There is one problem though, The volume of the xtra hoses and cooler necessiates the addition of extra oil (I'm assuming- any ideas?) rendering the dipstick useless (so to speak). At rest the extra oil flows into the pan and makes oil level determination difficult. Is the extra oil really necessary??

DC

BTW the parts for the extra cooler including thermo and switch can be had from Bergmann in Escondido.