Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 18 Aug 1994 14:35:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:         "Thom Fitzpatrick" <thom@tim.com>
Subject:      Re: engine temperature

> >flows into the pan and makes oil level determination difficult. Is the >extra oil really necessary?? > Good Job!

I've always dreamed of doing something like that, butnever had the courage! Bravo.

I would assume that the extra oil is necessary, since all of th eoil in the lines would not drain back unless it was all higher than the engin, but you still have to correct for it... Hmm, maybe you should do it mathematically by calculating the volume (warm) in all of the lines, and calculate the volume/height ration of the dipstick, and make a new mark on the dipstick that coincides with the oil level.

When the entire system is in operation, there will be less oil in the sump, and the oil in the sump is necessary for the splash-oiling nature of the crankcase (someone slap me if I'm wrong here..)

Also, what provisions have you made for pressure losses in the lines, fittings, cooler, etc?

We still have the problem of oil flowing out of the external parts of the system (namely cooler and hoses) back into the engine, giving us a false reading, reading higher than it really is. Perhaps by recalibrating with a known quatnity of oil, a compensating calibration can be made?

Can the dipstick be re-calibrated to work with the engine running? With my 911, you are SUPPOSED to check the oil with the engine warm and at idle! But maybe the splash oiling interferes with that???

As you can see, there are a lot of questions here, and since I didn't answer them on my own, I never embarked on the project.

Thom -- ............................................................................ : Thom Fitzpatrick Transamerica Info Mgmnt : : System Administrator 1860 Howe Ave : : tfitzpatrick@tim.com Sacramento, CA 95825 : : fax (916) 921-6781 (916) 565-3346 : ............................................................................