Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 19 Aug 94 12:34:00 cdt
From:         "Armstrong, Charles L." <carmstro@ssf3.jsc.nasa.gov>
Subject:      Re: Re.:  Synthetic oils

>> Do wassreboxers have oil coolers? I thought they did....DC >>

>I haven't noticed one in mine. -- >Steven

>sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com

I don't know if wasserboxers have oil coolers or not. They may not need them because they use water for cooling just as most american cars do. Most water cooled cars do not use oil coolers. I read a book by Anderson on 911 performance modifications. He describes the 911 as an air cooled engine that, as HP and

emission controls increased, became more of an air/oil cooled engine. From about '74 the Porsches had two oil coolers; one close to the engine and one mounted in either the fender well or in the front of the car. Flow to the coolers is thermostatically controlled. Allows flow thru the coolers at about 180 F. Porsche also added oil squirters aimed at the under side of the pistons to improve piston cooling.

Anyway, I reread Gene Bergs comment on Synthetic oil and his claim is that the oil flow helps remove heat from the cyl. heads. When he used synthetic oil his measurements showed that the oil temp was lower and the head temp higher than when he used regular dino oil.

Charles Armstrong '70 Bus