Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Aug 1994 18:07:08 EDT
From:         cchubb@ida.org (Chris Chubb)
Subject:      One prob. down, another comes up.

Well netters,

In the ways of the world, no good deed ever goes un punished, and no successful repair does not turn up something else.

I successfully replaced the clutch cable for the '71 Van. It was most of a very greasy morning. HINT: Cut the end of the cable off in front of the lever arm, pull it out, THEN unscrew the wingnut. (Does anybody make wingnuts with extra-big wings? Sure would be nice) I spent most of my time trying to manufacture a replacement for the 'clevis pin' that would not hit the front moutning bolt to the pivot arm. What a pain, but fixed. I got my cable from BFY, and found them to be quick, correct, and middle-priced. I just hope that this cable will last another 23 years.

At the same time, I decided to try swapping back in the original dual- hose distributor for the 009 to cure the flat spot from 1000-2000 RPM. Well, I put in new points and condensor, gapped it, and put it in. Turned the key, and it idled right up. Good sign. Pulled on the accel, and it died. Bad sign.

Spen about 20 minutes tinkering, and finally decided that I had the hoses backwards. Put the back hose from the carb on the front of the dist. can, and it then began accelerating. Good Sign. I timed it to 5 ATDC, and it still accelerated. So I decided to see how far it would advance. Well, as soon as I crack the accelerator, it goes from 5 ATDC to 10 BTDC, then NEVER MOVES. 11 or 12 degrees is all I can coax from it all the way to 3500 RPM. Bently mentions like 20-25 degrees max. When I try to turn the rotor, it turns a little, so the weights are not messed up. Mabye.

I took it for a spin. At idle, it accelerates easily, smoothly up to 3500 RPM. But as soon as my foot comes off the gas, or I start going down a hill, it starts to make funny 'POINK-POINK-POINK-BLAM' backfires and other nasty noises.

What is going on here? I am at a loss with this problem, and I need the Bus operational real soon to help me move into my first house. I am willing to try anything, and I will prob. go back home now and pull the dist. and dismantle it to check the mechanical advance.

Any body experienced this type of problem? Hints? I wish I had another dual-vacuum distributor around.

Despair.

--- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) __________________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the Institute \ \for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ --------------------------------------------------------------------------