Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 20 Aug 1994 23:59:17 -0800
From:         rickgo@halcyon.halcyon.com (Rick Gordon)
Subject:      ASI Conversion

>Date: Sat, 20 Aug 1994 09:17:34 -0800 >From: jvanwyk@halcyon.halcyon.com (Jon Van Wyk) >To: vanagon@lenti >Subject: ASI vs. Westy >Message-ID: <199408201613.AA09475@nwnexus.wa.com> > >Is anyone familiar with the ASI camper conversion? I'm in the market for >air-cooled Vanagon Westfalia and happened upon an '80 Vanagon with the ASI >conversion. Anyone care to compare and contrast the two? Thanx! >

I've seen a couple of these in my quest for a Van. (I ended up buying a VSI conversion btw. These are extremely similar.) Now that I've had to do some work on it, I must admit that it would be nice to have a manual for all the stuff they did, as I would have if it were a Westfalia. Instead, I have to string wires from the engine compartment to the dash while attempting to determine what's connected to what.

There are different configurations of ASI conversions, one I was looking at did not have propane - hence no stove and a "cooler" instead of a fridge. But a friend at work has an 80 w ASI conversion that does have propane, and he likes his a lot.

In general, the ASI and VSI has a bigger cabinet behind the drivers seat, so you can have a much larger fridge, and a little bit more of counter space. There seems to be more storage space in the back in the ASI/VSI also. And the Westfalia has a foldout table rather than one that mounts in the floor.

I was told by the owner of the ASI that the company was no longer in business, but I didn't actually confirm this. It's probably worth a call to Vancouver WA directory assistance just to see.

Hope this helps. Rick