Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Mar 1990 10:54:07 -0500
From:         steve@molly.tn.cornell.edu (S.Smith)
Subject:      reverse lights - more wierdness

ha ha - you thought my reverse light story was over !!!

Reverse lights on my 83 Vanagon arent working - inspection overdue. Traced problem to switch by shorting at switch, replaced switch, problem not fixed.

Yesterday, after doing back brakes on the Quantum, put the V up on the ramps to have another go at the damn reverse switch. Backed it up, left key on went back and the lights are shining!

Take it off ramps and they dont work???????

Upshot is (after driving up and down ramps several times) that when the bus is inclined the reverse lights work and when its level they dont.

My guess is its hard not to imagine a trans problem of some bizarre nature - i dont see how the relative positions of the trans and the rl switch can be changed by ramping the van....

did spend a good half hour inspecting wires, shaking all the wires with switch shorted, can say with autority that i dont have an intermittant wiring problem.

I think i am going to try out putting tape on the switch to extend its reach a bit, if this doesnt work then i will wire in a switch from the dash...i hate doing that , its only a few weeks away from the van being on it top in the front yard with animals living in it .......:-)

sps