Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 22 Aug 1994 07:29:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:         Frank Condelli <ad793@freenet.carleton.ca>
Subject:      subcribe

I'm back and I WAS kind to old people. Made 2500 km on the trip and saw only two Vanagon Westys at the Roadster Party. These beasts are rare ! Around here , Ottawa, I see them all the time !! I tried to find a hubcap for my missing one and no luck. I stopped at a few of those roadside hubcab flogers and they just looked at me as if I were from outer space. "Never saw one of those things around these parts" Then I called 20 or 30 scrap yards around the Pittsburgh area and came up with nothing. Only two yards had a Vanagon , one was already stripped of all the goodies and the other had just been sold in whole. Oh well !! Then I tried to find some off thos $60 Michlen tires that some of you folks were raving about at Sears or Tire America. Ha ! big joke that is. Mosts places did not even know what I was talking about. I finally found one Tire America place near Pittspurgh that had two of them and would "TRY' to get two more but he wanted $115. each plus taxes installation and transport for the two he would order in. Well, that turn into about $175. each my Canadian money. Thanks but no thanks. I found no one else, anywhere with any reinforced sidewall tires in stock, they all said they would have to order them, a week or so plus UPS charges. Thanks but no thanks again. I guess I will look for some tires around Ottawa. As for the Hubcap I have a nice one from a Thunderbird on there now, I picked it up along the road , on the I-80 where it meets the I-81, there are some god awful rumble strips there and my buddy in front of me with his VW fox lost one of his caps so we stopped to pick it up and found the ditch filled with hubcaps of all descriptions. NO VW Vanagon ones though. I picked up three good ones though and they all fit but I like th Thunderbird one the most. So those of you looking for hubcaps, check the ditches by the rumble strips. So,,besides all the hubcap and tire woes all else went well and the Westy ran well. Sure showed it's VW heritige when we got to the mountains of Pennsylvania, third gear had a good work out! We wouldn't want a VW van climbing a hill in fourth gear now would we !! Only a V-8 conversion will do !

Well enough BS I gotta go back to work.

Cheers,

Frank

-- * Frank Condelli * Kinburn, Ontario, Canada * * ad793@Freenet.carleton.ca *