Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 1994 14:44:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:         "Dr. D.W. Carment" <carment@mcmail.cis.mcmaster.ca>
Subject:      Re: Vangon Fan Housing

Beating a dead horse- the oil cooler flap set-up sounds identical to the Vanagon - it is so incredibly dumb -that I still cannot believe I have installed it properly (although Haynes and your description make me believe that I have). Though I still don't understand how the fan air finds it way back to the cooler when it is being vented out and downwards. How can wind travel against itself? And why the lip seal all around the cooler top?

I had another theory though on how it is suppose to function - since the bottom portion of the oil cooler is open to the elements and is in the direct path of hot air being vented out past the cylinders, this may create a low vacuum area as the hot air rushes past the oil cooler fins and out the back. This low pressure area in turn pulls cooler air from above thus "cooling the oil" however feeble that may be. Maybe a scoop could be created so as to vent some air back into cooler?

To return to an earlier point made, given that your bus and my Vanagon employ the same cooling system on very similar engines, doesn't it strike you as odd that the oil cooler is expected to do the same job on a vehicle that is substantially larger, broader and heavier (more if it is a Westfalia).

BTW in my mini-poll for ac Vanagons (only 8 responses) no one knew their oil pressure - ignorance is bliss. More on this later if and when I get more responses - DC