Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 94 12:05:28 PDT
From:         ui775@freenet.victoria.bc.ca (Alistair Bell)
Subject:      Re: westy rollover angle/tipping

> >When four wheeling in my 90 syncro westy I get real nervous when the vehicle >is listing 15 degrees one way or the other. When the vehicle is listing 20 >degrees one way or the other I freak out, get out of the car, and put stones >under the car so it will not go any further than 20 degrees. > >Does anybody think I am too paranoid. I don't know how I can figure out the >real rollover angle of my car short of buying a big pile of mattresses and >pushing it over. > > >

Some time ago, I saw a film from VW that had a 70's something van going around in a tight circle, increasing speed until it rolled onto its side. I can't remember any pertinent details (like speed, circle diameter, lateral g force), but the van had a framework around it with little caster wheels that supported it when it rolled. It looked like a lot of fun, (with an empty van). I also saw a film that featured a BMW bike with outriggers and "little caster wheels" for demonstrating an ABS braking system. The driver would apply the brakes as the bike roared through a wet skid pad, and come to a controlled stop with no fuss at all.

Alistair