Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 1994 14:57:31 +0800
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (martha rubin)
Subject:      solar.shower.test.results!

I was not pleased with the results of my own self-made solar shower in the black Rubbermaid tub, so I purchased a commercial solar shower for about $15 (5 gallon) made by a company in San Rafael, CA called Basic Design. Sorry, that's Santa Rosa, not Rafael. Anyway true to their claims, on a 70+F clear day, this thing heats up well over 110F in three hours! I was so inspired, that I called them up and ordered their 10 gallon model. With the two by side, slightly underfilled, at 14 gallons total, that would bring me just about up to the 110 pound weight allotment for the luggage rack of my '81 westy.

Next, I'll be experimenting with trying to keep the water hot once the sun goes down. Will probably try an ice chest painted flat black on the inside to pre warm it in the sun, then store it and test temperature in the evening, nite, and morning, to see how much heat can be successfully stored this way.

BTW, this company also makes a power shower unti for about $30 I think, which allows you to pump your shower if you have no place above you to park the water. It works off the DC/cig. liter outlet, and will pump up to a height of 8 feet, they claim.

Forgot to mention that the shower head on the end of my 5 gallon unit (and I assume all their units) has an on/off push/pull action, so that the flow is controlled at the end point of the shower. Don't know if that is also the case with the power shower pump.

This all bears futher investigation for what would happen on days where the temperature is under 70F, or overcast. I would guess, however, that it would at least help heat it, and that it could all be emptied into a tub, more hoit water heated (by first being boiled on the propane stove), and brought up to comfortable shower temperature. Then, the tub could be used with the power shower pump. The company even manufactures a shower "enclosure" which sort of folds down into something more manageable size. Or, I plan to experiment with lifting the rear hatch of the westy, and like Joel saw in a picture and told me about, hanging a shower curtain back there....

/Martha Rubin nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu '79 bug 'vert, '81 westy, previously owned: '78 rabbit, '63 1500 (notchback)