Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 2 Aug 1994 18:07:11 +0800
From:         nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu (martha rubin)
Subject:      gizmos/toys for the trip

At Joel's suggestion, I'm posting further information about my solar shower for those who may be interested (trip or otherwise).

It retails for about $15, and is 5 gallons in capacity. It's available from Basic Designs Inc. P.O. Box 2507 Santa Rosa, CA 95405 707.575.1220 fax: 707.578.0378 (they accept credit card orders via phone)

They also offer several other interesting products, such as a solar AA battery recharger (takes 4 batteries 10-14 hours approximately), and this power shower pump which plugs into the cigarette lighter, so that your shower will flow for you even if there is no space overhead to hang the 5 gallon bag (the more expensive $30 10 gallon bag is too heavy to hang, but can lie flat in the luggage rack, etc.

The 2nd "toy" is really a kitchen-type item, useful not only for vw or westy owners, but any breed, and even if you don't camp. It's called the "Stove To Go," a sort of electric hot lunch box (which looks exactly like the old-fashioned black lunch boxes). It plugs in to either your cig liter or household current, and comes with both cords. A 20' extension cord for the DC is available for an additional $20 I think should you choose to cook far from your DC connection. It is thermostatically controlled at 300F (set at factory), and will cook rice in about 30 minutes plugged into your dash. Brick tour people - you ought to be doing cartwheels, as this means we don't have to stop to cook dinner and can do more sightseeing and sidetrips! Anyway, truckers apparently use it commonly to cook a roast - throwing in all the stuff at the beginning of their trip, and having something that melts in your mouth like butter 3 or 4 hours later. You can heat canned things (advise puncturing top to let pressure escape) or soup, or sandwiches, or frozen foods, or put in your favorite hotdogs, BBQ sauce, whatever. The superneato part is that it can be used with those disposable oven roasting bags, so nothing needs to be cleaned after use, and the bags will stow neatly in your westy fridges/coolers w/o taking up a lot of space like a traditional storage container. It retails for $40.

For stat freaks (ha!), here's the scoop: 120V/12V, 60hz, 125W, patent pending, tested to UL std 1026, made in the USA. Now that I look at it to type these specs, it is, BTW, a little bigger than the traditional old black lunch box. To test, I filled it with water, and it held 8 cups in the bottom half, which is where the heating occurs (in the middle of the bottom) - a sort of crock pot on wheels :) It is warranted for 6 months by the manufacturer, Max Burton (address to follow). I'm not going to say that it is totally "leak-proof," so don't plan on heating boullion and making sharp turns (especially not to the left!). Anyway, Joel gave me a quickie correspondance course in modern electricity, so for those of you concerned about what this will do to your car batteries, take heed:

(Joel wrote) amps = watts / volts. always. so 125 watts divided by 12 volts (well ... almost) => 10.4 amps. and now as long as you don't run it for a long time, you'll be ok. but don't start that thing up and go off and forget it. but it won't run the battery down toooo much. :) that's about as much as two driving lights.

Anyway, personally, I'd confine my cooking to active driving times, and not risk running down the battery by cooking while parked.

Max Burton 502 Puyallup Ave. Tacoma, WA 98421 206.627.2665 (credit card orders accepted via phone)

Both businesses will ship these items to you UPS.

Happy cooking and showering....

/Martha Rubin nrubin@s1.csuhayward.edu '79 bug 'vert, '81 westy, previously owned: '78 rabbit, '63 1500 (notchback)