Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 25 Aug 94 9:16:56 PDT
From:         David Schwarze <schwarze@io.nosc.mil>
Subject:      Re: More HP Stories?

j.tabaco@genie.geis.com writes: > > I saw this ad on TV recently for the Split Fire spark plugs which "claimed" > up to 5 HP more among other stuff. Do they have them for VW busses? I'm kind > of leary about those claims. Has any one tried them?

Lots of people over on the Fordnatics list have tried them, and the concensus was that if your engine is in good condition and tuned properly, they will not help.

> I remember putting straight thru Thrush mufflers on my 56 Chevy to get more > power by lessening the back pressure on the exhast. Some guys even put > dumper valves at their header ports to get even more power. I never measured > the HP but it seemed to have more power. Does Thrush have mufflers for VW > busses?

I've never seen any.

> This is the kind of stuff I guess he is looking for for his Synchro in > particular. If anyone's got something they've tried especially on their > Synchro that seemed to work, please tell us your story. Thanx...Joey

Well, one of the books in my little "collection" is called "How to Hotrod your air-cooled VW". Sounds like a trash book, but it is just the opposite. It is chocked full of good information on how the engines work and even includes a complete history of the type I engine, along with pictures of early prototypes. It tells of the dangers of increased compression, all about headers and exhaust, to name a few topics. One thing they mention that I want to try is high-ratio rocker arms. Supposedly there are some Empi 1.4-1 arms that you can put on the VW.

Some of this stuff is not applicable to late model water cooled busses, but some is. The book is a great investment, IMO. It's an HP book, yellow. I don't remember the author offhand.

-David

============================================================================= David Schwarze '73 VW Safare Custom Camper (Da Boat) SAIC Comsystems, San Diego '73 Capri GT 2800 (Da Beast) schwarze@nosc.mil '87 Mustang Lx 5.0 (Da Bruiser? Soon...) =============================================================================