Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 01 Aug 94 09:01:53 CDT
From:         Joel Walker <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      aerodynamics: kinetically induced noise due to boundary layer separation

uhhhh ... my experimentation has conclusively shown that it is the mirrors that cause the noise at the front vent windows. :) and opening the vent windows disrupts the flow around the mirror and thus quietens the noise. this can be noticed on the buses with the power mirrors (which are somewhat more aero shaped and a little less noisy. also check the mirrors on the eurovan ... less area between the mirror and the body = less noise)

likewise the front vent (dash control) being open DEcreases the stagnant atmospheric/barometric/hypobaric pressure (stagnation pressure zone) at the front of the vehicle ... by bleeding off pressure, the noise is decreased. the crappy job vw did of sealing that big vent up there doesn't help. mine has been blowing little pieces of the gasket out for a couple of years now. and i don't see any way to replace it without removing the whole dash! :( <yes. i looked. you can't get there from the outside>

for a good cement to re-attach those drip rail covers (which, in case anyone is interested, come also in BLACK plastic and shouldn't cost more than about $8 each), get some 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover (to clean up the old stuff), and some 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive (the black stuff). it works real well.

7-seater jump-down turn-around: i did that in my old 80 bus (reverse the middle seat), but never drilled the holes ... just used it for carrying some junk. it works pretty good, but i recall something about an armrest banging into the wall. ?? did the old vinyl middle seats have an armrest for the person next to the sliding door? can't recall. monday. :(

once upon a time, in my old 71 bus, i took the middle seat out, and put it back in 90 degrees to the 'right position', over under the side window. it wasn't tied down (and nobody sat in it), but it worked pretty neat for just sitting. then we loaded up the furniture and i took off for virginia. had to go through a toll-tunnel in mobile (way back when) and the cretin in the toll-booth tried to charge me a truck rate cause i didn't have a middle seat and was hauling furniture! i told him i wasn't gonna pay it (as i was properly licensed as a station wagon) and we went round and round for a while. when i finally got really pissed and demanded to see his supervisor, he shutup and let me through at the passenger car rate. :) i think the twenty or so cars piling up behind me had something to do with it as well.

oh, god. another monday. :( joel