Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 26 Aug 94 22:20:45 EDT
From:         dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca (David Carment)
Subject:      Re: silver secret

Joel Walker writes: > > well, i looked through the Bildkatalog ... the german parts ordering > catalog for the 1980-85 buses ... and i cannot find anything that fits > the description given for this gizmo. NOTHING looks like a cigarette lighter > socket that is over by the steering wheel side of the radio-hole. nothing. > > so: a conjecture: is it possible that all of these buses might have come > from the same regional area of the continent? like maybe the vancouver area? > and maybe one or more dealers in the area always installed these things as > a 'option', so that you didn't have any choice? and that what they are is > a plug in seat-heater or lap-heater? like a little electric blanket? some > such dealer-installed not-necessarily-vw option? > Joel: The van we have was originally a CA model, and when there we checked virtually every Westfalia air-cooled vanagon that was parked on the street (obsessive yes but then aren't we all) and they all had them..so maybe its a California thang. BTW I disconnected ours and use the 12 volt source to run other things like a fan switch and gauges etc... but until we know for sure what it is, how can we sleep at night?

i can't find anything in the books or the brochures that i have. >

Its funny because the van (which is a 1982 "US" L model...solid head restraints BTW-Eurobrown interior...) didn't come with a manual so we ordered one from Volkswagen Canada and sure enough there it is in the diagram of the dash in full silvery glory on page 18, with nary a word describing its purpose...hmmmm. You would think that if it were some kind of power source for running an add-on device that it would be wired in with the ignition....I mean they did this with the headlights so why not other connectors as well...

DC

--

---------------------------------------------------------------------- David Carment School of International Affairs Carleton University Ottawa, Ontario K1S 5B6 voice - (613) 788-2600-6662 fax - (613) 788-9882 Email address: dcarment@ccs.carleton.ca ----------------------------------------------------------------------