Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (August 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 28 Aug 1994 22:11:26 -0700 (PDT)
From:         Patrick Tower <poser@leland.stanford.edu>
Subject:      Help me (again)

Hi folks,

I realize that this is not as serious as the recent tragedy befalling NuBus (best wishes on getting NuBus through intensive care, BTW, Matthew), but...

Ms. Pickle has fallen quite ill recently. I thought it was a case of food poisoning (bad gas), but I'm starting to wonder now if it's more serious. The trouble started as I was getting to the end of a tank of gas (I think the tank holds 13.5, and I put in 13.4). She was hesitating, jerking, and basically acting even more under powered than usual. I put a can of Gunk-type carburetor cleaner/water remover in the tank, but a half-tank of gas later, the problem is just as bad. I can't even get into fourth gear because I can't get it wound up high enough in third. Sometimes I can get it all the way up to 40 mph, but sometimes it's a problem to get above 30. People behind me don't like this, especially at stop signs. I don't think I'm doing transporter reputations any good. It feels like I'm going up the grapevine all the time.

This brings me to my question: Any ideas about what else I can try? I've changed the fuel filters, just in case they were dirtier than they looked. I changed two vacuum hoses that looked a little suspect. I reattached a smog hose that had been loose for a while. None of this seemed to make things either better or worse.

Other things I have noticed. These may or may not have anything to do with the problem:

1) After I shut down, there's a white vapor rising from the left carb but not from the right. 2) For a while now, I have been hearing a high-frequency, springy sort-of rattling when I let up on the throttle part-way. 3) I've been told that I should either replace or rebuild the throttle shafts. 4) I hooked up a strobe timing light to see if the vacuum advance was working, and it only lit up every few seconds. This may have been a bad connection, but could it indicate that #1 is only firing every few seconds !?

I guess there must be something screwy in either the fuel line or in the ignition system. I realize that my "contributions" to this list have mostly been pleas for help, but I would appreciate it if someone might be able to clue me in as to what problems I might be able to solve myself before sending my sweet Pickle to Dieter for a checkup. It might even inspire me to contribute a verse in next Friday's song-fest. (There _will_ be one, won't there?) :)

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Patrick poser@leland.stanford.edu '73 Safare' Custom Deluxe (one sick Pickle)