Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 1994 13:00:31 -0400
From:         tar3@po.cwru.edu (Timothy A. Rinehart)
Subject:      re: No reverse Gear

[loss of reverse deleted]

>The shifter bracket under the gearshift up front had come a little >loose and drifted to the right about 1/16' of an inch, preventing me from getting >the extra leverage to make it into reverse. 2 minutes with a 13 mm wrench >fixed that problem. Make sure you line up the two small holes when >clamping it down. I still had to fiddle with it for a couple of days >to get the shifting real smooth, as 1/64 of movement in the plate can >make the difference between an easy shift and a hard one. Again, it is just >under the rubber shift boot at the bottom of the stick.

i thought it could be something as simple as that and tried "adjusting" the bracket in both directions. While i did have an exciting time when i forgot to tighten it down and drove away only to lose the power to get out of gear (weeeee) all combinations tried failed to give me reverse back. it did however give me a much smoother shift into third and fourth (which is a nice thing) but i've taken it in to have one of them professional type poeple look at it.

CHUCK Hey, anybody know of a split style CV boot for the bus (73) to replace the cracked ones without taking it apart? The ones on there appear to clamped on boots (clamped to what i assume is the metal plate that's bolted down) but JC and Parts Place keep telling me that i have to take it apart because of the metal plate deal (is this making sense?).. I went as far as ordering replacement boots but sent 'em back due to the labor involved. Maybe a universal split boot that will work?

--

you can lead a horse to water but it's easier to ride it there.