Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 09 Sep 94 18:52:08 EDT
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Winter Camping Heat & Water Tank

Paul, I am posting my reply to the list as well since some of this will be of interest to other campers. (Subject starts with where to install vented 6,000 BTU catalytic heaters.)

>I have to get out and measure for feasability, but >I'd consider sacrificing 6" of width in the wardrobe closet to mount the heater >on that inside wall. Venting would then be down through the floor.

OK, so you mean mounting it along the inside wall pointing toward the passenger side of the vehicle. That sounds not too bad. One could even cut a cut-out for the heater in the closet wall to minimize the extent to which the heater sticks out into the vehicle.

But I wonder if this could end up burning the sleeping bag of someone sleeping in the lower bed over night. I use my Coleman Black Cat catalytic heaters overnight and intend to do the same with whatever new heater I buy. It is easy to buy an alarm for oxegyen and for presence of bad gasses.

I have in mind an arrangement whereby you could "clip" the heater on to two or three places inside the camper, depending on how you were using it. I would make recepticals for it sort of like a slide in radio.

>One question, when you refer to keeping the bus at 72 when the outside temp >is 32, is that with the top popped or closed? If open, how cold can you go >before too much heat gets lost out the top to stay comfortable? I know in >our old Westy, we were pretty darn cold - even with the top closed - the >time it got down to 15 degrees (and 40 mph winds), using an old Coleman >white gas catalytic for heat.

Take my BTU figures with a grain of salt since I am going from memory and I never measured this with precision. Furthermore the Coleman Black Cat heaters are rated for 5,000 btus but they are old and therfore have lost some efficiency. In addition, they probably arn't as efficient as the units we are considering

buying.

Here is what I think I remember about camping in winter with the pop top up, a moderate breeze, the window cracked, and a target inside temperature of 65 degrees.

5,000 BTUs takes you down to about 35 degrees 10,000 BTUs takes you down to about 10 degrees 15,000 BTUs takes you down to about -20 degrees

>Also, have you had problems with you water supply freezing?

This is an extreemly important question. First, it takes a day or two to freeze the water in the water tank no matter how cold it is outside but freezing the drinknig water poses a risk to the tank because the water expands. I wouldn't want to risk this so you have to keep that water from freezing.

A crude method is to boil water in a teapot on the stove and then pour this water into the tank via the giant screw-on top of the tank which you can get to by going into the left hand of the two food compartments under the table top. You will get tired of this fast, by the way. Another thing to do is to run the rear heater all the time you have the car running hoping to get this heat to the water.

A better method is to buy a 12 volt heat blanket such as that sold by Camping World catalog (Bowling Green Kentucky; everyone with campers on the list should get this catalog by the way). The blanket goes around the drinking water tank and when it senses the tank is 35 degrees

it heats up and thereby heats the tank and thereby heats the water. The trouble with this is that it is a major paint to install the blanket cause you have to take the drinking water tank out to get in there to do so.

Anothre method I would like to use myself is to run some coolent from the rear heater through a copper tube which is suspended in the drinking water tank. I am thinking about this project but other projects are ahead of it. This would involve a thermostat and a valve of some kind. Garth just figured out how to do this with a neat design but it is possibly dangerous in winter cause drinking water can freeze in and split the copper tubing in his design.

Aside from the tank, you have another problem because the drinking water line is not a strait line from the faucet to the tank so some water tends to pool in the line and then freeze even when the drinking water is not frozen. I recomend you do what I did and reroute the drinking water line so it goes down hill all the way from the faucet to the tank. That way, the faucet will always work because the line will self drain.

Critical to all these issues is that in winter you must keep track of the temperature of the drinking water so you know when it is about to freeze. I keep track myself by means of a Radio Shack thermometer with probe (Cat No. 63-854).

It is normal in winter for the water in the drain part of the tank to freeze. This means that when you are done for the weekend you have to take off the drain cap and chip away the ice with a screwdriver until you are able to punch through to the liquid water, which will then drain out and melt the remaining ice in the drain part of the tank.

While we are on the subject of the this part of the drinking water tank, it is important to remember that this tank is always collecting condensation which pools in the bottom. This condensation water will begin to make bacteria so you should provide a way for it to get out when the tank is not in use. The best method to do so is to have an alternate drain cap with holes in it so condensation water can always drain out. Glue foam over the holes so dust cannot climb back up through them into the tank. Alternate the factory cap and your cap with holes in it depending on whether the tank is in use or not. Drinking water in summer time should not be left in the tank for more than a week or so due the fact that it gets dangerous as bacteria builds uup in it.

>Oh, and one piece of info. In your original heater post you said:

>>The heater consumes 1/4 of a gallon of propane per hour when operating at >>full blast...

Oops, my mistake. It is 1/4 pound of propane per hour.

>According to the brochure I have, the heater consumes 1/4 pound of propane >an hour, giving you (again according to the brochure) 17 hours of >continuous operation per gallon. Your dual tank setup would give almost 85 >hours of continuous heat, perfect for a long ski weekend!!

I believe we have 10lb capacity tanks, otherwise stated as 3 gallon capacity tanks. I am not sure how this relates to their math.

The 10 lb. at 80% max capacity would have 8 lbs in it. This means you could run the heater for 32 hours on one tank, or 64 hours on my two tanks. Since it only costs about $5 to fill a tank, this means 64 hours of heat for $10. That sounds pretty good to me!

But it raises a more stunning question. If the dual tanks give so much heat, and it is so hard to find a way for the catalytic heater to fit inside the van, perhaps we *could* stand to buy externally vented non-catalytic heaters even if they *are* only 60% efficient. This way, you don't use up so much space inside the vehicle.

I think that the non-catalytic method involves sacrificing the little closet on the floor near the refrigerator and rear seat to the installation of a heater. But I never found a non-catalytic heater that would actually fit in that space. Furthermore, they seemed to consume significant amounts of electricity running the fan so that became the limiting factor, not the amount of propane. A Paul Sasserville of Maine, a non-internet person, claimed he had found a heater that solved this problem but I haven't called him on this. I think I will give him a call.

(Paul, I sent you a little present of some propane plumbing drawings I made to install my 2nd tank. You'll have to rethink them and recheck them but I know you will be interested.)

derekdrew@aol.com