Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Sep 94 13:04:21 PDT
From:         Stuart Redford <scr@hpvcpnpi.vcd.hp.com>
Subject:      Re: Cellular Phones

Cellulars.....I'm an owner of (3), so I thought I'd offer my 2 cents..

I had a hardwired Alpine w/ handsfree in my recently sold '91. I also have a Moto-flipfone (compliments of HP) and a Moto-Bagfone also supported by HP.

Having the hardwired unit in the camper was the best setup for cruising especially with the handsfree plus with Cellular One's "CellOne Connect" service we have in the PNW (where you don't dial, you just tell them you want Sears in Portland on *** Street). It's also the safest, by far, in terms of driving and also is not suspect of zapping your body with EMR.

It was mounted on the ventilation cover below the radio to the left of the shifter. My right knee was ~3" to the left of it. This was the recommended location by the installer that was contrary to my desired location (higher up on the dash). I agree with his recom- mendation after usage. I also had a 15' section of RJ45 cable that enable me to move the handpiece to the rear seat during extended camps. The power was NOT ignition dependent as I wanted to phone while at a stop. The antennae was in the upper-right corner of the windshield. The mic was to the left of the driver's sun flap.

The obvious negative with the hardwired unit is it's not transferrable to other vehicles. Any additional fones means supporting another account. But, if I had to outfit another camper and could afford it, I'd still do the hardwired......

I have a Moto-flip because I support computer stuff when offsite. Driving with this is flatout dangerous. I do it, but know I'm a weasel when I do. Because I don't feel strongly that there ISN'T an EMR threat with that antennae next to my head, I only use the flip when paged away from my car. One option with flips and multi car use is the cradle and external power and handsfree hardware. They're not cheap but do enable 1 fone to be used safer in multi vehicles and stand alone.

The bagfone solution offers flexibility in terms of multiple vehicle with one account, but is not much of a carry around option (where the flip is best). They're full power (3W) but, without an external antennae and sitting below the window line, I actually think my flipfone has better transmission.

The bummer about the bagfone in my camper (or any vehicle) is it requires a seat, meaning the passenger's, especially if you want handsfree. When there is someone else in the car, the bagfone is a pain. Putting it on the dash is impossible with the antennae.

I have the handsfree mic that clips onto the carrying case. It works OK, but again, not if the fone has to be on the floor.

So, I'd state, if I didn't have HP buying me toys, I'd have a hardwired unit w/ handsfree in my camper and a bagfone for all other uses. Without work requirements, I wouldn't support a flip. But, then this too easy for me to state when the *company* pays most of the bills.

Now, in the category of toys and slick features, here are some tricks I use that are handy, but can give one a reputation for being an obsessive technofreak, particularly with folks like some in my family that still have rotary fones at home. Because they don't understand the stuff, they suspect I'm actually making my life *more* complex and stressful.

No answer-call forwarding-

If someone calls my house fone, it rings 4 times and then xfers to my cell #. If that fone is On, it rings. I either answer or after 3 rings the caller gets voice mail. If the cell is Off, they get voice mail immediately. And, another toy supplied by HP, I have a vibrating (pleasure mode) pager. If someone leaves a VM msg., VM sends a string to my pager that tells me I have a message. This is really helpful when trying to take care of personal business while working a 9>5 job. Trying to connect with 9 > 5 businesses like electricians and VW dealers while at work can be such a pain.

The dazzling part of this routine is that folks that call expecting me to be home get me when lounging in the camper bed on the Oregon coast or fixing dinner near the corner of Aloha & 11th in Seattle.

Prior to extended trips, I forward the house fone to the cell to bypass the 4 rings at home.

For the computer types, by hardwire fone in my camper also supported modem access to systems at work with my laptop. This was lots of fun, but again only possible through generous grants by the Hewlett Packard Co.. Yeah, it was a pisser conversing with folks at work near-real-time while parked in the bush many miles from any external electron source. But, please! Isn't it time to turn off all this electronic shit and listen to the night?!

scr