Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         1 Sep 94 16:34
From:         L.S.Griffiths@physics.salford.ac.uk
Subject:      Re: Heater Cables

Tam,

I got under my '78 and both cables were snapped off due to seizure.

I don't know how willing you are but I would try this:

o Lye on the floor facing the back of the bus with your head near to the back wheel. (You DON'T have to jack anything up).

o Slide yourself under the bus keeping yourself lined up with the long axis of the bus. You only need to be just under the sill.

o You will see the drive shaft just above your head, and of course the bottom of the engine. You can see a big fat looking tube 3 inch diameter bending upwards just ahead of the drive shaft. This is the Heat exchanger. (Mail me if you want to know all about them!)

o Follow the tube along towards the drive shaft. It curves upwards and has a lot of interesting mechanisms at the top of it. Where you are looking now, you should see the Heat exchanger flap control rod and cable.

o The Cable goes to the cab along the chassis and through the under shield. What usually happens is the inner cable gets rusty and seizes in the outer shroud.

o Try and move the inner cable in or out with a pair of pliers, spray some WD40 on the cable.

Other than that, new cables only cost about 10 pounds.

Hope this help.

Lee.