Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Sep 94 14:34:28 bst
From:         A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk (Andy Erskine)
Subject:      Re: Will Volvo seats go in my bus?

>So, like, last week I'm checking out the Bus Stop catalog and adding up >what it would cost to re-do the front seats in my '76 Camper. Hmmm... >looks like roughly $100 per seat to buy new foam and upholstry, then talk >a friend into helping me. > >But wait - yesterday on a local .forsale newsgroup I see: >2 front seats from a Volvo 240 (driver's side seat is heated!) >$100 takes both > >Does anyone have any idea if these seats would go in a bus?

I think most car seats can be adapted to fit in a bus as long as they're not too deep, so your feet still reach the floor. I've got some that came out of a Triumph (maybe, they were in the bus when I bought it) and I've seen various other types fitted including a leather rear bench seat fitted in the front of a splitty. Most junkyards around here will sell seats for 5 or 10 pounds each, but you have to be lucky to find ones in good condition (i.e. not left out in the rain or walked all over with oily boots). If the seats have got runners attatched you just need to position the seats and drill holes to bolt them down. If they fix to runners on the car's floorpan you'll have to fabricate some sort of subframe or else lose out on some adjustment. Mine have no fore/aft movement but that's not much of a problem on a bus. They do have up/down and tilt adjustment and are 10 times more comfortable than the stock seats.

Andy E.

A.C.Erskine@lut.ac.uk