Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Sep 94 21:48:03 CDT
From:         "J. Walker" <JWALKER@ua1vm.ua.edu>
Subject:      Re: Tires again

On Thu, 29 Sep 94 20:34:49 CDT Gerald Skerbitz said: >All the tires on the van ('84 GL) are BF Goodrich LT 195/75 R14 M+S, and >not the 185 R14 C7 PR that are called for. >Now for my questions: > Would anyone recommend replacing the one damaged tire?

depends on how worn it was. if over 'half', it might be better to get two new ones. maybe get a spare wheel from a junkyard and mount the remaining undamaged old tire on it (for an additional 'spare'). if less than 'half', it probably wouldn't make much difference as long as it was the same size and type (radial, etc.) and tread pattern.

> If I replace two, should I put on 185/75 or get what's on there

since the tires you have on there are light truck tires, check if they are load range C. if so, that's what is recommended. see what the price is on the same size. i don't have a good reason, but i'd feel 'funny' about putting two different widths on a car. yeah, i know that porsche and the sports car folks do it all the time, but we're talking vanagons here.

> Lastly, should I put the new ones on the front or back?

if you want to better stopping, put the new ones on the front. if you want better traction, especially with snowy winter coming up, put the new ones on the rear.

another alternative: get THREE spare wheels from a junkyard, save the three remaining undamaged tires as 'spares' and buy four brand new tires of which- ever size you want. :) well, you didn't SAY anything about money!

joel starting Friday just a bit early. :)