Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 01 Sep 94 11:55:03 EDT
From:         DerekDrew@aol.com
Subject:      Factory Tools

The dealer that I usually use for repairs has just gone out of business and I called my service advisor at his home to ask about the tools left there. He said all the tools had been numbered and tagged and that they were still in the building. He said the building was going to be converted to a New York state auto emissions inspection facility and so he supposed that all those tools were going to be auctioned off.

I am contemplating attending the auction, and bidding for all the tools relevant to repair of Vanagons which are not easily obtainable from our FLAPS stores as generic items. If I do go to the auction, I am also willing to big for any tools that members of this list may covet.

This raises the question as to which tools to go for.

Let's start a discussion of special tools for the Vanagon, which ones are valuable and which ones are available only from the factory. Has anybody found that there are any factory tools which are definitely advisable for the repair of the vanagon?

For example, I am looking at tool number 3149, the retainer and socket used to remove and install the three grove crankshaft pully. Is this tool valuable, or is it easy to remove and install the three grove crankshaft pully without it.

In order to participate, you may wish to obtain the catalog of factory tools, part number TVW ZEL CAT 91 ZEL or call Zelenda up and obtain the catalog directly from them at 718-896-2288.

I see that the Syncro the following tools look like they might be good purchases, but who knows:

3141 T handle used to install front shocks $20 3142 Driver used to install the driveshaft flange seals in the front final drive and transmission $20 3143 Seal driver used to install the oil seals in the front wheel bearing housing $19 3144 Press sleeve used to remove and install front wheel bearings $24 3145 Retaining handle used to hold the driveshaft flanges during removeal and installation $77 3146 Press sleeve used to remove and install lower ball joints $25

Let's hear it on your favorite expensive but valuable tools.