Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Sep 94 9:34:26 PDT
From:         Steve Johnson <sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com>
Subject:      Re: Questions, questions more questions

So John Ritchie says: > > Sean, you're new to this list so you probably haven't yet gotten a flavor for > our various list personalities. Steve stands out even in this anal crowd as > being Mr. Preparedness (he surely made Eagle Scout... ?) so his list is > perhaps longer than many of ours. Not to argue that he hasn't been there > since anybody who's owned a `74 bus has to have been there at least several > times! :) :)

Now Sean, ya gotta remember. John is a surfer and being as such, he's been out in the ocean gettin' beat around the head and such. So ya gotta give him some lee way (pun intended). You can go out on the road and find out the hard way, or you can listen to my experience and be well prepared. ;)

> Here's a shortened list of essentials to provide counterpoint to the Long > List: > > 1) 1 quart of oil for topping. If it's leaking so bad you need more you're > doomed anyway.

Mmmm.. One quart for a trip around the country? I suppose you could pick some up at stops but I dunno. Depends on how thirsty your van is.

> > 2) Toolbox with tools. Can't do anything without them.

I think the gist of this was in my list.

> > 3) Make sure to throw a long pair of pants and a raincoat into the bus incase > you need to hitchhike somewhere (maybe some shoes other than Birkies if you > think of it).

Oh yeah. I forgot John picks up hitch-hikers. Well he's got that '74. A real popular one for the hitch-hiking set. :P ;)

> > 4) A towel. Read Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy if you haven't already.

Is this some kind of kinky thing or what. (It's Friday, ya know)

> > 5) Swiss Army knife, mostly for the corkscrew.

Yeah, that'll get the lug nuts off.... ;) > > 7) OK, probably ought to make sure you have air in your spare and a working > jack although all this does is keep you from having a flat in the first place. > > 8) Relax. If anything goes wrong you'll work it out somehow.

Well, if your just going to the beach, I'm sure there are plenty of other surfer dudes/dudettes around to help you out. ;) But on that long lonely road between Timbucktoo and B.F. Eygpt, you're really gonna count your blessings when you have the things you need and then some.

> and Bobo, the `74 bus

Steven 'Always Be Prepared' Johnson

sjohnson@pcocd2.intel.com