Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 06 Sep 94 09:25:00 cdt
From:         "Armstrong, Charles L." <carmstro@ssf3.jsc.nasa.gov>
Subject:      RE: How to check for loose main bearings

>I have the engine out and pistons/cylindars off. Any suggestions how to check >the main bearings with our cracking open the case, I would like to avoid that >if I can. I just want to put some new pistons and cylinders on.

> Tim (69 camper)

> "TRUST YOURSELF, IT'S THE ONLY WAY TO FLY" Muir

Tim, I don't know of a way to check the main bearings without splitting the case. You can check the rod bearings without opening it up( follow Muir's instructions). How old is your engine? Ever overheat? Why are you replacing the p/c's? Did you drop a valve? My experience ('70 Bus) was with an engine that ate number 3due to detonation caused by overheating. I replaced the p/c's and heads. The rod bearings checked out ok. After reassembling, the engine would seize after driving about 3 miles and would not turn over until it cooled back down. I pulled the engine and split the case. Main and rod bearings were toast. They were marginal at best and the added compression of a new top end sent them over the edge. If you have a lot of miles on the engine or any reason to suspect the bearings, go ahead and do them now and save the hassle of pulling the engine again.

Charles Armstrong '70 Bus '69 BMW 1600-2