Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         8 Sep 94 14:06:40 GMT
From:         cs@karin.att.com
Subject:      EuroVan Winnebago Test Drive

> we have a GL with the automatic, and a miniature daschound named oscar > meyer. the dog may not have much to do with the van, but he is important > to us.

We have a 106-lb. Yellow Lab named Pongo, he is important to us :-)

> i would think that the term "adequate power" would be fitting ONLY for > those of us that know what the previous "normal" amount of power for a VW > van is. > i find myself with the throttle wide open when getting onto the freeway, > and a few other times, and that's more often than i am realy comfortable > with. > but i must say that at those times, there is actualy a fair amount of > power. enough to be considered "adequate", but far from the 396 gas > guzzler V8 i am used to.

The engine of the MV especially good torque at low rpm. However, this probably makes it a bad candidate for automatic transmission, unless it's a tigthly coupled one. I have the 5-speed EV GL, and am very impressed at its acceleration and climbing power. Let's see: 396 means 6.5 liters.. the EV has the 5-cyl 2.5 liter engine -- imagine what it would be like if you had two of those in tandem :-)

> > and speaking of gas guzzling, 10mpg in the city, and 15mpg at 65mph on > the highway is not close enough for me to what was posted on the window > sticker when we bought it.

Really? this is for the EV? We are getting 23+ mpg highway (average speed of 70 mph) and 19+ city. This, and the power you are talking about when pulling onto highways suggests there's something wrong with the engine or adjustments. Have it checked before warranty expires!!!