Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 8 Sep 1994 13:16:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:         hugie@lindy.stanford.edu (John Huguenard)
Subject:      Re: Rubber parts on Vanagons

Ok, Ok. I really like my 1981 Westy, but I have one more thing to vent about.

I am not sure of it's past heritage, but since I have had it I have had to replace countless (well, not really countless) rubber boots, hoses, seals, etc. Maybe the previous owner lived in the desert or something, or maybe VW does not use very high quality materials.

Some of the parts I've replaced or sealed:

- air intake pipe (between air box and intake manifold). Only $28 from the dealer for the 6" length of 2" rubber pipe with two right angle bends. The old one was very porous, with a few outright tears.

- all the rubber hoses in the air intake system leak at the junctions, these leaks have been reduced by applying radiatory-type clamps at each junction.

- steering gear boots

- cv boots

- steering linkage boots

- accelerator cable boot (probably won't replace this one)

- auxillary air controller connector

- gasoline overfill (expansion?) tank connector

The failure method for all these parts seems to just be a deteriotion of the matterial. i.e., they get weak, develop small holes, or tear. It's doesn't seem to be caused by being stretched or twisted.

It's allready been mentioned on this list that the fuel system hoses should be periodically checked to prevent engine fires. So far they look good, but replacement of all these in next on my list of things to do.

Does anybody have similar experience?

John Huguenard hugie@lindy.stanford.edu