Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 01 Sep 1994 13:14:17 EDT
From:         cchubb@ida.org (Chris Chubb)
Subject:      Re: Oil Pressure Springs and Pressure adjusters

/On an unrelated topic. I also have in my possession (courtesy of JCW) two /items designed to boost oil pressure: a) an annular pressure valve piston /with extra strong /spring (claimed 15% drop in oil temps) and b) a dial-in pressure adjuster that /fits below the pressure /valve piston. Any ideas or opinions on these would be appreciated before /I install them at the next oil change. DC

I also fell prey to this little 'improvement.' For a couple of bucks, I thought I could get my pressure back up and all would be groovy. I was wrong.

Thinking about it now, I realize that the stringer spring goes in the pressure relief hole. That valve does not open until the pressure gets too high at the bearings, etc. then it vents the oil back to the sump. The problem is that this increses the pressure between the pump and the bearings. My oil cooler now leaks like a sieve whenever the engine is cold, and until it heats up. Sure the pressure at the gauge is higher, but it does not help in cooling or adequately lubricating parts.

What should happen is that excess oil should be thrown back into the case, AFTER A TRIP THROUGH THE COOLER. It does not flow over the metal parts, they are getting all the cooling oil they can get, keeping the oil cool. With these little 'wonder springs' they make the pump work much harder, and the oil may move over the internal parts alittle faster, but the engine has to work that much harder to pump the oil to high pressures. When the oil is hot, and the overpressure spring is closed, all the oil is going over the bearings and the spring does not help at all.

My advice: Ditch the springs, keep the grooved plunger (It really is better at the cold-oil-pressure-relief valve end), and make sure that those bores are clean and the plungers slide freely.

If I can find another stock spring, I will put it in. I hat having to wash oil off the the left side of the engine all the time. It just drips out until the engine is warm. (I even have good german oil seals)

Good Luck

--- Chris Chubb (cchubb@ida.org) __________________________________________________________________________ \All opinions expressed or implied may not reflect those of the Institute \ \for Defense Analyses, the US Government, or anyone else. \ --------------------------------------------------------------------------