Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 11 Sep 1994 21:55:12 -0500
From:         jjc@bga.com (John Clavin)
Subject:      Air flow cable

I am new to this list and have been having a great time going through the old messages in the file. I have a 85 Vanagon with 165K miles.

One thing has me a little confused. A lot of the older messages discuss problems with the wire harness to the air flow sensor causing problems. I had some of the problems when the van was new, but not any more. The dealer did some things I never got a full accounting of, but seemed to work.

I have not been able to find anything that describes how to tell the difference between the old/bad cable and the new/good replacement cable. I'd like to find out which cable I now have. Is there an easy way to do this? I understand the cable has some "active" components in it. Can you tell the difference with an ohmmeter?

Also, by air flow sensor, I assume they mean the squarish aluminum unit where the CO adjustment is. The cable that goes to that is part of the BIG cable that eventually winds up at the ECU. Is this what we are talking about?

Thanks, John Clavin Austin, TX