Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Sep 1994 10:13:31 -0700 (PDT)
From:         hugie@lindy.stanford.edu (John Huguenard)
Subject:      Re: oil pressure question

Martha Rubin Wrote: > Would those of you with air-cooled vanagons AND an oil pressure > gauge out there tell me approximately where your gauge reads > while driving at highway speed?

Just back from a trip across the Sierra to Mammoth Lakes area this weekend and here are some readings:

1981 Westphalia, Castrol 30W Heavy Duty Oil, 7K on VW long block.

Oil Pressure (psi): Startup Cruising (about 60 MPH) Hill Climbing 65 (60deg F) 40-50 (after warmup) 30-40 (3rd gear,45-50 mph,5-7%grade) 70+ (50deg F) 35-40 (strong headwind) 20-30 (4th gear,45 mph,long climb) 35-50 (2nd gear,25-30mph,steep)

Head temperature (sender at spark plug #4!): (<55 MPH) 250-300 deg F 60 MPH 300-350 deg F 65+ MPH 350-370 deg F

Head temperature never gets much above 360 deg F. During normal highway cruising (no hills) is hovers very near 350.

Climbing up Tioga Pass from East (going from about 7000 ft to 10000 ft in less than 10 miles) was a serious test. I kept it in 2nd gear the whole way at about 25-30 MPH. Oil pressure stayed above 40 psi and head temperature was 350 or less. However oil temp must have been sky high (as David said), because when I stopped at the top at the ranger station the oil pressure warning light came on at idle! After a few minutes of relaxed driving the oil pressure came back up and Dino ran beautifully. My conclusions about oil pressure are simply that you should use your head (the one on your shoulders ;). The situations where oil pressure drops are pretty obvious, and you would know them even without a guage. When climbing long hills and you are near the bottom of a gear range (less than 50 mph in 4th or less than 30 mph in 3rd) the oil pressure falls. This condition is pretty obvious because the engine does not respond with more power when you step on the gas. IT ALSO OCCURS BEFORE THE HEAD TEMPERATURE INCREASES VERY MUCH. I should emphasize that this seems to apply to only long climbs (over several minutes). Now the only question relates to David's posting. David: You talk about hill climbing at 48MPH in 3rd or 4th. In third the temperature gets very hot, so what do you do? Stay in 3rd to keep the pressure up, or go the 4th to keep the temp down?

ymmv John Huguenard 1981 Westy hugie@lindy.stanford.edu