Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Sep 1994 17:29:32 -0500 (CDT)
From:         Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti>

Joel made an attempt, but this one didn't _quite_ make it to the list, so I'm manually forwarding it. -- Gerry Gerald Skerbitz <gsker@lenti.med.umn.edu> U of MN Med.School.Admin 6-5379

---------- Forwarded message ---------- >Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 16:15:38 -0400 >From: Jay Goldberg <jay@SUMMIT.NOVELL.COM> >To: Multiple recipients of list VINTAGVW >Subject: Some POR-15 Info

Due to the recent thread in the VINTAGVW mailing list, I took a field trip today to POR-15, Inc. It's a little place in Whippany, NJ where they make all kinds of interesting chemical/paint/rust-inhibiting products.

Outside the front door, they have a rusty metal hoe sticking in the ground. That is, the part that's still bare is quite rusty; the part that was treated with POR-15 was real nice, and the POR-15 had been painted over existing rust. The POR-15 loses its shine in the sun, but they sell a top coat for it that maintains its gloss even in the sun (the un-top-coated part that was not in the sun looked as nice as the top-coated part, so I'd imagine it would be a great undercoating.)

Inside, they have lots of cats and lots of products. They make:

- A rust coating that paints right onto metal or rust. In fact, if you paint it over existing paint or undercoating, it may not hold if the paint its adhering to decides to bubble or peel. This comes in black, silver, or clear, various sizes. Evidently, once you open a can of this stuff, you must transfer it to a glass jar with some plastic wrap between the jar & the lid. If you try to reseal the can once you open it, it will most likely seal itself PERMANENTLY.

- A rust cleaner/surface prep solution. This I didn't see in action, but they say it's necessary to use on galvanized steel or aluminum before using POR-15, as the metal is too slick for the POR-15 to bond; this stuff apparently puts some zinc powder coating on the metal.

- Gas tank cleaning/coating kits. These clean the rust/gum/varnish out of your gas tank, then prep the surface, then coat the inside with a flexible coating that is not affected by fuel. They are a big supplier to motorcycle places. they told me not to use this on my brandy-new gas tank for the '60 bug, but that it would work fine on the old gummy tank I've taken out of the bug. They told me that with all the steps and drying in between each step, it could take up to 2 weeks to do a good job on your gas tank.

- Engine enamel, in lots of cool colors. This stuff doesn't prevent rust, but can be painted over POR-15, which does.

Anyway, the folks were real nice, and the products looked good, so I bought me a quart of black POR-15 for the '60 bug, and they threw in a sample can of the clear stuff (nice for scratches & dings).

I'm in no way associated with these folks, and I haven't yet tried my POR-15, but my interest was piqued by the discussions on the net of late. Their number is:

1-800-457-6715 In NJ 201-887-1999 FAX 201-887-8007

Many thanks to Bradley for finding the ad for these folks in Super Chevy magazine and telling VINTAGVW about it!

Jay Goldberg Novell UNIX Systems Group jay@summit.novell.com ISV Engineering 190 River Road F-226, Summit, NJ 908.522.5096