Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 12 Sep 1994 17:09:03 PDT
From:         "T. HOEKMAN" <THOEKMAN@hsd.uvic.ca>
Subject:      Heater activity in 82 Vanagon diesel

I too have a (former) 82 vanagon diesel now with an 86 Jetta GLI gasburner in place. It also exhibits the inappropriate heat syndrome and in my case the problem is a kink in the the control cable. The regulator valve which is manipulated by the control lever via wire in housing cable is just above edge of the dashboard on the right hand side of the heater core console. If you reach up under and find the lever with wire-end hooked to it and rotate it additionally clockwise it may now go to full stop. However if there is a real kink in the wire at the control lever end, you may have to remove the radio and straighten out the kink, or in a worst case scenario replace the cable completely. There are a couple screws that attach the plastic cover to the dashboard, when removed the whole cover pulls off revealing heater core hoses and valve. Once you have straightened a bent control wire, a careful steady hand is required when TURNING THE HEAT OFF, otherwise you will kink it again.

Incidentally I am now resident in Victoria, B.C. having made the trek across the contintent from St. John's, Newfoundland in my Westy. My trip was pleasant with some interludes with family and colleagues along the way about 15 days and 5300 miles in transit. No major difficulties with my converted diesel, it ran like a fine watch the whole trip, however I had to replace the exhaust pipe enroute (a victim of Nfld. salt and corrosion). I reached Boston and detected the crack and leakage, obtained a replacement pipe, but because I had to get a fitting welded to it for the oxygen sensor, and was due in Montreal at McGill the next day, decided to just have it patched, and do the full job when I got to my parents place in NW Iowa(In hindsight, a bad decision!) Well I made it to Montreal the exhaust getting progessively noisier as I drove, but the next evening on my way out heading west toward Toronto, suddenly it went from a low level buzz to a roar. When I pulled off the highway into a gas station in a suburb of Montreal to evaluate, the entire pipe from manifold flange to flex pipe half-way to the muffler had dropped off and was hanging by the now frayed wires to the oxy sensor at this point with the engine still running smoke started to pour out so I killed the engine and popped the engine lid. The oxy sensor in the CIS-E system has a heater circuit and the frayed power wires to the heater element had shorted out cooking the insulation, so I disconnected the sensor and removed the broken pipe +sensor, fired her up and moved to the empty parking lot across the street, but smoke emission began enroute and the engine died as I completed the transit. Turns out the fried power leads had melted the insulation and fused above the connector and I now spent the next hour picking apart the surrounding wiring harness and reconstructing insulation with electrical tape when all this was done, I said a small prayer to the god of VWs that my computer had been spared, and fired her up. Ran loud but smooth. I then set about removing the remainder of the flange, and the other end of the exhaust pipe, managing to conserve 2 of the 4 studs and then tried to put the pipe in place. I knew from all the discussion on the list that the fuel injection would run albeit less efficiently without the oxy sensor. My new pipe was just a tad too long, and would you believe, I didn't have a hacksaw in my toolbox, so I walked over to the gas-bar across the street, to see if there was a station with a service bay that might be open (It was now after 10PM) no luck, but then they remembered there was a production welding shop that ran all night about two block away. I walk into this place with my pipe in hand, and there's nobody in sight, but I wait and make noises and in few minutes the workers come back from coffee break, and I get queried in French what I want, when I explain my French is non-existent we carry on in intellible but broken english to find out that the boss has said NO JOBS FROM THE STREET. I had already seen that they had production grade electric hacksaw, and looked really disappointed and explained that I could drive my car till the next day if I didn't get 1/2" trimmed off the pipe and started to walk away. Fortunately he relented and I passed him a few Yankee dollars and walked back to put my exhaust pipe in place. By 11:30 I was done, cleaned up an on the road for a hour or two until I found proper place to pull off and catch some Zs. I couldn't really tell any difference in my gas mileage with or without the oxy sensor. I was pulling a small camper trailer with lots of stuff for my kids and for my housekeeping on my sabbatical (Over 1000 lbs) running at or just over posted speed limits, and mileage varied from a low of about 17 mpg to a high of 20. The only correllation seems to be speed. Mileage went low on sections where I was cruising between 65 + 75 mph, and picked up notably when I dropped to 55-60 mph.

Incidentally, somebody remind me how to remove myself from the mailing list back in Newfoundland, and re-up from here in Victoria in digest mode, so I don't have to read the list by Telneting in to my account back East. I still can't believe how many VW vans there are here, walking around the 3 or 4 blocks adjacent to where I'm living I can sight 8 vanagons, 5 older vans, and 4 Eurovans. I don't think VW has any Eurovans left for the USA, they're all here in Victoria ;)

Cheers,

Ted Hoekman School of Health Informatin Science Faculty of Medicine U. Victoria Memorial Univ. Newfoundland Victoria, B.C. St. John's, NF

Ted