Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 13 Sep 1994 18:07:26 -0400 (EDT)
From:         GELATO@vax88a.pica.army.mil
Subject:      RE: female stuff on trips

This is for Martha and other females on the net (and for any males who might be interested):

I stated earlier that we just got back from a 13-day, 1553-mile adventure in our 67 Westy camper. That's the engineer in me, quoting numbers.

>From a feminine perspective, please let me address:

Cooking: We used up an entire container of propane fuel while cooking at our various campsites. I cooked some of the usual campground fare at various times: hamburgers, hot dogs, steaks, pancakes, eggs, bacon, soup, and macaroni and cheese. When the weather was rainy (we cook outside), it was easier to have cold cuts, milk, OJ, etc. stored in the ice box for cold cereal, sandwiches, etc. With about 1 day left, we needed another container of propane fuel. The best part was that when we are camping, I cook, and Anthony does KP. I can't figure out why it doesn't work this way at home! Does anyone else have this problem when camping with their husbands or significant others? Must be that he is usually talking VW's on the phone or doing VW stuff on the computer (we have about 1350 in our old bus registry now), when we are at home.

We ate out about half of the time - which was especially fun when we were at an Italian restaurant in the burbs of Montreal. The waitress there knew about as much English as I knew of French. The Italian restaurant was a good choice, as half of the menu was in Italian (p.s. "parmigiana" in French is "parmigiana").

Sewing/interior decor of our bus: Well, when we bought our 67 last year from the original owner, it was in pretty good shape. One partial exception involves the privacy curtains. The original curtains were replaced previously on the right side and rear windows. And one of the original ones on the left side is torn slightly. Well, my loving husband found an original front curtain (white/yellow/brown) that he wants me to make new curtains for the right and rear. Isn't that nice of him??? (Add it to my list of things to do.) They are *not* weathered/faded to match the other ones. Oh, well!

Crocheting: My goal, as we set out on the trip was to finish one blue baby sweater (that only needs finishing touches) and to make a pink one. P.S. 2 friends of mine are pregnant, and with any luck, one will have a girl and the other one, a boy! I'm working on the second sleeve of the pink one, but I did not finish it. The bus/bug show on Sunday, in Woodstock, NY was interesting enough that I didn't do a lot of crocheting that day. That nite we were finally home.

I am back at work now - camping is only a memory (till the next trip) - back to software, numbers and equations.

All comments are welcome!

Lori Gelato