Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 1994 9:37:01 -0400 (EDT)
From:         GELATO@vax88a.pica.army.mil
Subject:      Re: Lawrence, MA show, Sept. 4 - Woodstock, NY show, Sept. 11

Lawrence, MA show: It was our first time there - we just did Manassas in May and wanted to try something different. There was a muscle car show the day before, so Lawrence Stadium was busy the whole weekend. Apparently, years ago, the town/ neighborhood used to be a nice area - it has gone downhill to the point that they hired security guards, day and night.

They told us that usually 6-12 buses usually camp overnight on the Sat. nite, before the Vee dub show on Sunday. Well, there were only 2 of us. It was a little chilly, both overnight and during the show. Anthony bought various parts, including some muffler for some rare year (64?) so I guess there were enough parts for him to choose from.

Because of the security problem, I stayed at the bus a great deal of the time and left Anthony to wander around. So I got a fair amount of crocheting done (oops, digressed again into *female stuff*).

Woodstock, NY show: It was a first-time show, and they did a great job! Had *two* days of VW's, mostly water on Saturday and air on Sunday. Sat. aft. was a cruise of about 22 miles. They arranged it well, with police escort to get out of the lot. Mostly bugs, few buses, some water-cooled, etc.

Got back to a reception at Callahan's, adjacent to the show field. Good munchies, hot and cold. Other than paying for your own drinks, it was *free*! Very nice - and the amount to get into the shows was not exorbitant either.

We saw lots of buses at our campground - we arrived on Friday and left for home (finally) on Sunday nite. Some people went to both shows. We didn't go to Sat.'s show. On Sunday, they gave away a lot of door prizes. Anthony couldn't find any parts to interest him at this show, but there was as much a selection as at the Lawrence show. There are some things that he is very fussy about, and he waits till he finds the perfect one before buying.

There was a great 60's atmosphere, including one award given for best 60's/Woodstock theme! Some tie-dye shirts and other *groovy* clothes from that era. Because it was Woodstock, there seemed to be more Deadhead-types than at the Lawrence show, but everyone was nice. There was a 70's bus that had a trailer made up of the back of another 70's bus, same color (green) - that caught everyone's eye, I'm sure.

They were both fun shows!

Lori and Anthony