Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 14 Sep 94 10:58:35 EDT
From:         huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (Jerry Huff)
Subject:      R-134

Back in early August R-134 conversion kits were being discussed. At that time I mailed the following letter to VW:

/** August 8, 1994

Jerry Huff 1514 Cassandra Drive Durham, NC 27712

Customer Service Volkswagen United States 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326

Dear Sir/Ma'am,

I am the proud owner of a '84 Vanagon and a '85 Golf. I purchased the Golf new in April of '85 and just recently acquired the Vanagon. I thoroughly enjoy the experience of driving my VWs and currently have no plans to get rid of them, which brings me to my problem. The air conditioning systems have stopped functioning in both vehicles. The old a/c systems are based on the soon to be obsolete and very expensive R-12 freon. I am in the pro- cess of planning and budgeting for the repair of the a/c systems and would like to know about any R-134 conversion kits available for my two VWs. It would make my day to find out that VW already has or is planning to offer conversion kits for their older vehicles. If VW is not planning to offer such a kit, I would like to know of any third party product that has VW's blessing for making the conversion possible.

Fahrvergnugenly yours,

--------------------- Jerry Huff

**/

I received the following reply:

/** Volkswagen US, Inc. Customer Relations Dept. 3800 Hamlin Road Auburn Hills, MI 48326

September 2, 1994

Mr. Jerry Huff 1514 Cassandra Drive Durham, NC 27712

Dear Mr. Huff

Thank you for your letter of August 8, 1994 concerning the R-134 conversion kits. I am pleased to inform you that our engineers are working on such a project, however, Volkswagen has nothing currently on the market.

Our parts department is not aware of any third party product to advise. We will continue our development efforts and advise the public as soon as one is available. Thank you for your interest.

Sincerely,

Sally D. Eberle Volkswagen Customer Relations

**/

Sure would have been nice if they would have mentioned a time frame for their conversion kits. I would like to get the ac fixed in at least the Golf next spring since that is the wife's transportation, but I would really like to hold out for a R-134 system.

-- Jerry Huff Data General _____ Brick Unix Development RTP, NC 27709 | |_|_\ on \/ huff@dg-rtp.dg.com (919)248-6277 `0---0' Wheels \/\/