Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         14 Sep 94 17:25:48 GMT
From:         cs@karin.att.com
Subject:      STATISTICS VANAGON (fwd)

Man!!! I did not even see my name on the list of bigmouths....

Well, anyway, taking heed of Joel's warnings, I thought I'd let you guys in on how the "Koolatron" turned out to be. Some of you will remember that I posted a couple of articles asking questions about whether the same technology would be applicable to Air-Conditioning, and there was quite a few messages, and then the interest died (hey, how about a virtual Corp. that produces plug-in A/C units for older vehicles???!???).

Anyway, back to the topic, I've had the Koolatron box for two weeks now, and I guess I cannot complain.... It does keep pretty cool even inside the van out in the parking lot for over 8hrs., and does not seem to drain the battery to any noticeable degree. I got the 30-liter version, which is quite spacious, but, to my dismay, DOES NOT FIT between the two front seats of my '87 Weekender :-( ...

It is a nice thing to have for $99.00 plus shipping, but one thing that really upset me is that they sent me the A/C adaptor and charged me $49.00 extra for it, even though I specifically asked for it NOT sent to me. Even though a $10.00 radio shack adaptor will NOT work here, I can get a transformer powerful enough for much less than that. And 4 $1.00 Radio Shack power diodes should do the rest....

I guess I'll have to get on their case and send their adaptor back...

I have not had an occasion to try it in heating mode, but, I imagine it'll do even better....

Regards, Cetin Seren cs@karin.att.com