Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (September 1994)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Sep 1994 21:54:52 -0600
From:         jgladu@bcm.tmc.edu (John Gladu)
Subject:      6V -> 12V

>Well... I did it about 3 1/5 years ago, and no fires yet. Hell... even >the 6V wipers still work (anyone have 12V ones froma '67?).

Yes, but it's MINE! I'm still running the '72 SuperBeetle motor attached to the cam-n-rods that came stock in my '61, but it's getting a little cranky. About a month ago, I turned them on and they just twitched. Messed with the fuse, the plugs ('72 SB controls, too) and the switch, but they just twitched. Left them on anyway. It was like watching Mickey's big hand move - took about 5 minutes to go all the way across. After they'd finished the initial pass over the windshield (right-to-left) they ran normally. I don't get it. Either the grease in the gears is now glue, or the motor has to be HOT to run. But this pattern is repeatable. So I'm hoping to put the '67 setup in, someday.

My brother ran his '66 stuff through a weird and elaborate voltage-reducer built by an electrical engineering student at Rice University. Toasted the wiper after awhile. Never did anything with the starter - just ran it twice as fast.

The starter held up until an escaped mental patient broke into his bus and hot-wired it (but didn't connect the coil). Got about a 1/4 mile on just the starter motor, and then it expired. My brother push-started it for months by putting it in second, hooking up the wires (never fixed the ignition switch) and just - pushing. No popping the clutch. He caught up with it every time...

bcnu - Grungy jgladu@bcm.tmc.edu '61 dddPanel '68,'69 Bugs '90 Vanagon '67 Bus (rickshaw) .opinions are just that.obviously.